The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

The 2024 GHS Oscars

Students Take a Swing at Predicting Academy Award Winners
Created by Cadee McCoid

Carrying on the newly created tradition of the GHS Academy Awards, the students took a vote on who they believe should have won this year’s annual Oscars awards. Now that the students and the Academys votes are in, let’s take a look at how they compare.

The first categories are Best Actor in a Leading Role and Best Actor in a Supporting Role. While the students agreed with the Academy on the first one, and named Cillian Murphy in “Oppenheimer,” the best actor in a leading role, they disagreed with the official choice for the supporting role. GHS chose Ryan Gosling as Ken in “Barbie” as their winner, however, the Academy did not agree and chose Robert Downey Jr. in “Oppenheimer.” Downey received only half as many votes as Gosling by GHS.

The next two categories are Best Actress in a Leading Role and Best Actress in a Supporting Role. This one started off already very controverisal with Margot Robbie not even recieving a nomination for her role as Barbie to begin with. The Academy winner for Best Actress in a Leading Role was the same as the GHS pick, Emma Stone in “Poor Things.” However the winner for Best Actress in a Suporting Role only received five of the GHS votes, Da’Vine Joy Randolph in “The Holdovers.” America Ferrera in “Barbie” was the GHS choice.

The next two categories surveyed in the high school were Best Original Score and Best Original Song. Once again, “Oppenheiner” took first place in Best Original Score, and this was no surprise considering it was also GHS’s winner. However, there were only two votes separating the GHS winner from the Academy winner for Best Original Song. The students chose “I’m Just Ken” from “Barbie” while the Academy chose “What Was I Made For?” from “Barbie.” This was the only award “Barbie” received the entire night.

Now, for the overall Best Picture category. It came as no surprise that “Oppenheimer” took home this award. Considering the movie’s box office success as well as its success at the Oscars alone, there was no question that it would win. However, it was a close call for the students of GHS. Although it was a close second by three votes, “Oppenheimer” could not surpass “Barbie” as the GHS winner for Best Picture.

The Academy continues to surprise their audience with controversial picks. This year being considerably one of the most debatable of all. Although “Barbie” was the biggest box office sensation of 2023, it received only one award and not nearly as many nominations as many would have expected.