The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Review: Amazon Prime’s ‘Upgraded’ Well Worth the Time

Mendes, Renaux and Olin are All Outstanding
Graphic by Madison Almquist

The new romantic comedy movie, “Upgraded” was released on Amazon Prime on Feb. 9. The movie follows Ana Santos, played by Camila Mendes, an aspiring art intern who ventures from New York to London. While on her flight to London, she meets a handsome man named Will. However, Santos makes up a little white lie that follows her throughout the movie.

Mendes plays the character wonderfully. She skillfully unravels the complexity of the character. Her acting is incredible, the way she is able to portray the character’s struggle. Another casting choice that is awesome was Archie Renaux who plays Will. He is a very charming character. I can feel the chemistry he had with Mendes through the screen. Throughout the movie, their snippets had me giggling and smiling at the screen. The casting that had me very impressed was Lena Olin who played Catherine, the mother of Will. Her acting is incredible. The way that Olin embodied her character and the maternal essence is a standout performance.

The movie is really funny, too, which surprised me because most romantic comedies do not have much humor in films, so I was very pleased with how much comedy is in this film. I did really like the plot as well, because the movie did not only focus on the romantic side, which was refreshing. I really enjoyed the plot and the character development through this movie. The film focuses on what hard work can improve in a person’s life. The audience can really see the effect that hard work had on Ana’s life and how she had to overcome the struggles and hardships in her life to become successful.

The part of the movie that was most enjoyable was the character development for Santos’s boss Claire who is played by Marisa Tomei. In the beginning of the movie, it is clear that Claire was made to be a villain however as the movie progresses the viewers get to see a different side of Claire, and they can clearly see how misinterpreted the character is. I really enjoyed how the directors made the character strong and persistent.

Although it offers an engaging narrative, some viewers may find certain scenes lacking in depth. It shows how honesty is an important policy. The film’s compelling performances make it a worthwhile watch.