The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Sound Check

The Glory of Shoegaze and Dream Pop
Graphic by Pederson

Shoegaze emerged in the late 1980s as a subgenre of alternative and indie rock. Bands like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive and Ride paved the way by creating hypnotic soundscapes with distorted guitars, dreamy vocals and atmospheric effects. The term “shoegaze” reflects the habit of performers, lost in their music, looking down at their shoes while changing the effects of guitar pedals.

As most trends go through cycles and repeat, shoegaze is no exception. Most of this is due to the use of social media platforms. Rather than going to a music shop and picking up a CD or record from an artist you are already familiar with, people can now listen to music for free and discover new sounds. Using platforms such as Tiktok, Instagram and even Reddit, fans and niche communities can bond by posting and commenting.

Shoegaze’s resurgence has not only gained listeners, but also new music. One of the most popular modern shoegaze bands is Beach House. Known for their songs, “Space Song” and “Silver Soul,” Beach House is not an unknown name for those who have been online recently. Their breakthrough had set the popularity of dream pop among younger generations. Some more unknown songs from Beach House are “Lemon Glow,” about a lover who helps you through your darkest times no matter how hard; “Lose Your Smile,” discussing the importance of positivity even after going through hard times; and “Days of Candy,” reminiscing on the past. All of these songs are easy listens and personal favorites when I am studying or doing homework.

An older band, the Cocteau Twins are heard on Tiktok with songs such as “Heaven or Las Vegan,” “Cherry-Colored Funk” and “Pearly-Dewdrop’s Drop.” From 1972 to 1997 the Cocteau Twins helped define the shoegaze and dream pop genre. Rather than a heavier sound of most shoegaze, the lead singer, Elizabeth Fraser’s vocals add a heavenly and dreamy tone to their music. The Cocteau Twins are most often classified as dream pop and gothic rock due to this reason. With songs like “Sugar Hiccup,” “Pink Orange Red” and “Sea, Swallow Me” Cocteau Twins have made a discography which leaves listeners at ease. The group makes music to play walking to your classes, while studying and for staying up late. The somber tone and lyrics of their songs gives a solace feeling for many listeners.

Finally, let’s end with the band who helped pave the way for shoegaze, My Bloody Valentine. Best known for writing and performing the song “When You Sleep,” My Bloody Valentine took inspiration from The Velvet Underground, The Cramps and The Beatles. Ultimately becoming the face of the genre with their album, “Loveless” which holds multiple remarkable songs well known to shoegaze genre and fan community.