The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Sound Check: Five Short Song Reviews

Pink Pantheress, Jungle and More
Graphic by Pederson

Welcome to Soundcheck. This should be the first in an ongoing series of quick music reviews posted on various Mondays throughout the school year.

Originally gaining popularity off Tiktok, Pink Pantheress crafts ‘90s and ‘00s samples into what she calls a “modern nostalgia” style of music. Her most recent song, an early release to her upcoming album, “Heaven Knows” does not disappoint. “Capable of Love” tells an uncertain love story, singing of a fear that her long-distance love will not last. She wonders if the other person is actually capable of love. This ethereal song is perfect while commuting home from school or work and at get-togethers.

Recently gaining attention from their song “Back On 74” off their new album “Volcano” Jungle the band creates theatrical and eccentric choreographies for each music video. Using powerful dancers, such as Will Wood, Mette Linturi and Maikolo Fekitoa, it creates a strong emotion within the music video and intensifies emotions while listening to the song. Jungle has effortlessly begun a pop culture movement in the United States, starting a dance trend on TikTok and encouraging TikTok users to explore more of Jungle’s music. Though Jungle is more than a one-hit wonder, if you like “Back On 74,” also try listening to “Good Times,” “Dominoes” and “Heavy, California.”

Dominic Fike, known for acting in the show “Euphoria”, has taken over the indie scene. This July, Fike put out an album, “Sunburn” which gained popularity from songs, “Mama’s Boy” and “Mona Lisa.” This album perfectly conveys summer. Though “Sunburn” has very few skips, one underrated song off this album is “Dancing In The Courthouse.” This song discusses Fike’s troubles with law enforcement while growing up in Florida. “Dancing In The Courthouse” comes at you with a slow entrance, and, as you near the chorus, it builds energy making it a hidden gem within the album “Sunburn.”

“My Simple Jeep,” a collaboration with Eyedress and Mac DeMarco, produces a soothing yet intriguing song. Allowing listeners to relate to owning a Jeep, though they are not the most expensive or fanciest car in the lot, they are comfortable and simple. The song is slow with electronic elements like any other DeMarco song. Whether you own a Jeep or not, this track is an easy and calming listen. With Mac DeMarco’s iconic analog style of singing and laid-back instrumentals, you can feel at ease while listening.

From 2017 to 2019, singer and songwriter Beabadoobee gained attention for her early works “Coffee” and “The Moon Song.” With a similar bedroom pop style, Laufey recently collaborated with Beabadoobee to create “A Night To Remember.” The two artists create a jazzy and romantic number. The song is slow and catchy, perfect for a date night with your partner, relaxing or even as background noise.