The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Together One Last Time

Gretna Dance Team Placing at Nationals
The Gretna dance team with their trophies from UDA Nationals. Photo courtesy of Melrose Mixan

After all of the hard work that the GHS and GEHS dance team have put in this season, it all comes down to nationals. The team finished semifinals in 16th place, almost not making it to the final round. These underdogs persevered and exceeded the expectations, finishing with seventh in their jazz routine and eighth in their pom routine earlier this month in their division at UDA Nationals in Orlando, Florida.

“Our coaches said that even if we do get last place in finals, that they would still be so proud of us. It was an incredible season, and they love us so much,” sophomore Brooke Hamele said. “So we went in, no pressure, and free. We were dancing for ourselves and not worrying about the place.”

When Gretna dance team was announced for seventh place, they made history for being the first year that the group has made it above eighth place. The two schools ended a great year for this one team. Next year, however, the Gretna dance team will be split into GHS and GEHS dance teams for competitions, including nationals.

“I’m really excited to see the two different teams because they are splitting next year,” senior Lily Blake said. “I think both will be really great, with great coaches and great girls, and I can’t wait to see where both of the programs go.”