The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

New Director, New Season

Modern A Capella Gets Ready for Upcoming Performances
Clayton+Angland+%2825%29+performs+with+Modern+A+Capella+at+the+groups+most+recent+concert.++
Mia Yungtum
Clayton Angland (25) performs with Modern A Capella at the group’s most recent concert.

New director Dakota Matthew had only one thought in the back of his head as he entered the Modern A Capella class for the first time. He was absolutely delighted with the natural blend of the group. The beginning of the new school year was already off to a strong start for him and the singers.

As a smaller, but still phenomenal group, Modern A Capella has been working hard throughout this year to put on a perfect show. The group is made up of 29 people who meet everyday in class to put together a show.

Though this Modern A Capella may seem effortlessly great, behind the scenes they prepare and use class time each day to perfect each detail. Not only do they sing without the aid of any instruments in the background, but also have small bits of choreography to spice things up.

“My favorite part is being with all my friends and doing something that I love,” senior Jordan Thomas said. “A Cappella is fun and gives me diversity in the types of music I sing.

For many of the singers in this group, Modern A Cappella is a great way to improve vocal skills and the ability to sing without instrumental help, which forces you to focus on and know the notes you are singing.

“For me personally I’m trying to improve this year by not relying so heavily on listening to other people to know my notes,” senior Libby Turpen said. “As a whole, I’d say one thing we’re working hard on is having a good blend and singing the same vowels.”

Mrs. Katelyn Wallace and Mr. Matthew both direct the group. The two work side by side in many other vocal classes and groups such as varsity and JV show choir and concert choir. In the Modern A Capella class, with the help of the combined talents of Wallace and Matthew and the hard working attitude of the students, success is made.

“We are looking forward to performing at the Peru State Festival in October and a couple more a cappella competitions in the spring,” Mr. Matthew said. “Mod Ac is singing very well and is getting better each day. The best thing about the class is the opportunity to sing more casual music at a very high level. It is fun to be a part of a smaller ensemble that is so high achieving.”

This group began their season by performing at the opening of the new YMCA. Their first school concert was early October where they showcased their talent for the community.