The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Put Some Pep in Your Step

Pep Rallies at GHS are Officially Back Tonight and for Each Season

People see pep rallies in movies, TV shows and read about them in books. However, at GHS, the students have been without a pep rally for three years now. Today, Aug. 15, GHS students will finally get to experience what a pep rally is like. 

The pep rally will be held at 7:30 p.m. during tonight’s open house. Because it is the school’s first pep rally since 2020, all of the fall sports teams will be there to get recognition for their hard work and dedication. The teams being featured include: girls golf, cross country, volleyball, football, boys tennis, cheer and dance. 

“I don’t like how it is at night,” sophomore Kallie Broz said. Broz is also a varsity cheerleader. “If it was during the school day more people would be able to go and the fall sports would get more recognition.” 

According to the administration, the pep rallies originally stopped for multiple different reasons. There was not enough space for all of the students in the gym. In the past the students had a lack of interest. The biggest reason that the school officially stopped was because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The admin plans to do a pep rally at the start of each sports season this year.

“At first, we went to the video ones so the coaches could actually be heard and you could see the seniors,” Principal Todd Mueller said. “Then what really prompted it was that (Gretna) East (High School) decided they were going to have them, therefore, we were going to have them.”

Since there has not been a pep rally in a few years, there are many things that the students should expect. The pep rally will not do any class competitions because the school does not know how many students attend. Although people arrive on their own time since it is an open night, parents will most likely be at GHS to cheer on the students in their community. 

“The coaches would come out and talk, the cheerleaders would cheer, the dance team would dance and the band would play the fight song,” Mr. Mueller said. “So all those things are going to happen again.” 

Although the event takes place during the evening, the school spirit will still be there. It is the first school pep rally in years, so students can show up and show off their school spirit during the open house.