The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Opinion: Fighting the Senior Slump

Graduation Approaches . . . at a Crawl
Created by Brynne Friedrich

Senioritis is a well known phenomenon that surrounds students during their final year of high school. It affects seniors across the world, each of us beginning to feel the weight in our own way. As a senior student, I never thought senioritis would hit me as hard as it did. For years, I had been a focused and motivated student. I had been determined to succeed in not only school, but also at work and in my activities. But as the final year of high school rolled around, something changed dramatically.
At first, I noticed subtle changes. I found myself procrastinating more often, putting off assignments until the last minute. I’d always been on top of my school work, but suddenly, the thought of having to stay up late to finish an essay or study for a test didn’t seem important to me anymore. In the beginning, I blamed it on the stress of college applications and the terrifying uncertainty that the future held. But I knew I was lying, it was more than that. Senioritis had taken a hold on us all, and its effects were clear among my peers. I watched as friends who had once been straight A students began to lose their motivation. We joked about senioritis, using it as an excuse for our lack of focus and motivation. But underneath the laughter, there was a sense of reality that, for most of us, this was a real feeling.
As college acceptance letters began coming, the loss of motivation worsened. In my mind, if I have already been accepted to the college I plan to go to, then why do I need to continue putting effort into high school? Senior year is supposed to be a time of celebration and excitement while looking forward to the future. But for many of us, it was a dreadful experience of us waiting to finish this step in our lives and move to the next. Teachers are not blind to the change, their once enthusiastic students now dragging their feet through each period. They have made many attempts to help us, but the feelings of senioritis remain prominent in our attitudes and motivation.
As the weeks pass and graduation day begins to creep up, I can’t help but feel a sense of regret. Regret for not making the most of my last year, for letting senioritis get the best of me. But I also know that it’s not too late to turn things around. With the support of my friends and family, I have made an effort to push through the fog of senioritis. By setting goals for myself, both in school and in my personal life, I will work to achieve them before graduation. And slowly but surely, I have started to feel my motivation returning. Despite the challenges we continue to face, we will all make it through. Senioritis may have created a bump in the road, but in the end, we came back stronger and more resilient than before.