The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

A Brand New Start

Joe Dalton Becomes New Head Football Coach
Karleigh North
Joe Dalton with head coach Mike Kayl at the Class A state championship game in 2022. Dalton was recently named head coach for football.

As communities, teams and people prosper, change naturally follows. The Gretna East split, moving back to Class B and with the 2019-2023 head football coach Mike Kayl moving on. Change is something that can be counted on at GHS.

Former assistant coach Joe Dalton has stepped up to fill the role of head coach. Dalton has coached football for nine years, five of them at GHS.

“I think, like everybody else, when you have a good experience in high school playing for a cCoach that you really like and look up to, it kind of makes you want to give back as well,” Dalton said. “That is really what started me coaching.”

Alongside his desire to return the coaching that he received in high school, he was also influenced by his dad. Growing up, Dalton’s father was perpetually coaching his athletic teams.

“It’s a little surreal, with Coach Kayl moving on that leaves some tough shoes to fill,” Dalton said. “But more so with Coach Kayl leaving, you spend so much time with a guy who is one of your best friends and he ends up looking for other opportunities. I am really excited for him in that aspect, but also bummed that I do not get to be around Coach Kayl as much.”

Dalton said Kayl will still stop by practices and continue to help out when needed. The decision for him to stop coaching was tough due to the love he has for the sport and the players.

I am sure that there will be some things that change but I do not think there will be anything drastic for the kids. I think they need stability more than anything.”

— Joe Dalton

“Coach Dalton will do a great job as head coach as he is very knowledgeable of the game and knows how to get the players to reach their potential,” Kayl said. “Coach Dalton will rely on his staff to help out just like I did. It was always a team effort from our staff to be successful.”

Dalton said that he does not plan on changing a lot with the team. He follows the words that Kayl would say, “If it’s not broke don’t fix it” and will make changes as they come.

“I think like anything, push your own personality to it,” Dalton said. “Coach Kayl and I, like people, have different personalities. I am sure that there will be some things that change but I do not think there will be anything drastic for the kids. I think they need stability more than anything.”

Next season the team will be playing against teams they have not played in years. Dalton said he is looking forward to going through the process of shaping the new team while he discovers the ins and outs of Class B.

“With playing new teams comes seeing new teams on each side of the ball,” Dalton said. “But that’s something we are looking forward to. I know our staff and kids are excited.”

The football team will have a brand new start with fresh players, coaches and rivalries as they approach the 2024 season.