The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

An Unbreakable Volleyball Bond

Team Friendships Make the Difference
Sarah Kula
Sophomore Bella Rangel stands in the center for the pledge of allegiance with her teammates, sophomore Halle Mason on her left and senior Cassie Stones on her right.

Teamwork requires a combined action from a group. Friendship requires mutual trust and support between people. For the Gretna volleyball team, they have a good handful of both. Teamwork and sportsmanship are displayed on and off the court.
For a fraction of these athletes, they have a history of playing volleyball together. Most of the seven seniors started the sport when they were kids and continued with the same group of girls.
“Most of us have been together since third grade,” senior Emma Martin said.
In the hallway, these girls may be seen walking and talking together. For some it could be because they have played together for so long. Others have simply become more than teammates. On and off the court, these girls are friends. They have done many activities outside of their practice, film and games. This team is keeping the bonds strong by having many group activities.
During the season, there were team dinners. Last summer, there were weekly root beer float sessions. This fall, players met and painted pumpkins. The whole team even went to the Memorial Stadium volleyball game at the end of August. Many of these activities have been sponsored by the booster club.
“I think everyone has good confidence and connections.” sophomore Halle Mason said. “I enjoy being with everyone and being friends with everyone. I’m good friends with a lot of the seniors.”
These players continue carrying these connections even through the rough games and plays the season has held. One of the most recent games this team has played was the first round of districts against Westside High School. The team finished its season at 25-13 after a loss in the A-4 district finals against Westside on Thursday, Oct.25.
“I think we’ve had ups and downs,” senior Kennedy Shelburne said. “There’s games that we haven’t been playing our best and there’s games that we’ve been outstanding”.
The team had been ranked as high as tenth in the state this season.
“Coaching volleyball is the chance to lead young girls and build relationships with them and just the opportunity to get to know them,” head coach Wendy Loberg said. “And hopefully inspire them to be the best version of themselves and in that be a better volleyball player”.
The coaches have given the seniors a lot of control to be leaders of the team this year and that has helped keep the relationships strong for everyone. This teamwork will hopefully guide them through state and bring back a state title.