The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

New School Year, New Group

Unified Choir Provides Singing Opportunities for Special and General Education Students
Graphic+by+Pederson.+
Graphic by Pederson.

A new choir at GHS has begun performing this semester. Unified Choir is made up of about 20 special and general education students. They had their first concert in early September. Directors Katelyn Wallace and Dakota Mathew partnered with special education teacher Christine Hammers to organize the group.
“I appreciate the interaction the directors have with this group,” Hammers said. “I received so much positive feedback from a plethora of individuals throughout all of Gretna.”
The Unified Choir has dedicated eighth hour to practicing their songs and having a good time. Though they have only performed once so far, the group has gotten a lot of positive attention from not only the students and staff members, but parents as well.
“I wanted to meet new people,” senior Connor Kudlacek said. Kudlacek is a member of the choir. “I think it’s pretty fun to hang out with people and make new friends.”
During each class period, the group is learning new types of music while also enjoying themselves. One of the directors, Katelyn Wallace, plans what the group will be singing, and most of the material has been popular music, things a person might hear on the radio.
“Each day in class, we do a series of music activities related to the season or in preparation for our next concert,” Wallace said. “I try to make it engaging for students by choosing music that I know they are interested in and keeping the class pace moving quickly to maintain attention.”
For directors of the choir and teachers in the Special Education room, the goal of this group is to include and focus on special needs students in clubs and activities. Hammers said she thinks the choir is encouraging to her and other special education staff members. Senior Molly Fiala thinks this class is very fun and enjoys the energy of Wallace.
“She’s really cool and funny,” Fiala said.
Ann Ross, a retired teacher at Gretna, said she has noticed the gradual changes throughout the school. She said she sees GHS as more inclusive than previous years.
“When I was teaching at GHS and sponsoring Service Club, I made a point of getting my students involved in activities with students who were in the regular population,” Ross said. “I wanted to bridge the gap between the students with special needs and the regular school population. It would be great if there was a liaison or someone who could reach out to students with special needs and their parents so these students can get involved too.”
The next Unified Choir performance will take place during the Winter Concert along with Modern A Capella and other GHS Choir groups.