The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Reoh’s Work Pays Off

Senior Golfer Ranked Among the State’s Best
Senior Carleigh Reoh walks the course. Reoh is co-captain of the girls golf team. She started playing her freshman year. Photo courtesy of Nicole Burns

The music blared in the white minivan while the GHS golf team and coaches sang their hearts out as they traveled to their golf meet. In the car, team captain Carleigh Reoh sang along with her beloved teammates.

The girls golf team started their season Aug. 7 and consists of 14 athletes. However, one of the girls stands out as both a leader and a player. Reoh is in her senior year of high school and started playing competitively her freshman year, never looking back. She has put in the hard work over the past four years and has improved tremendously.

“She did a lot of work this summer, and she’s worked a lot in the off season,” coach Kyle Slusher said. “She’s a great leader for the younger girls.”

As the season progresses, Reoh has trained harder than ever and it shows in her results. She is ranked top 15 in the state. During this season alone, she has medaled seven times with an average of around 40 points. She said she plans to continue her golf career post high school and has offers piling in from different colleges, including Northwest Missouri State, Southwest Minnesota State and Rockhurst University.

“I just love competing,” Reoh said. “Honestly, it gives me something to do, and I love going to practice and seeing myself improve.”

Reoh is a determined player and is committed to her team. During the offseason, she works with a hitting coach to enhance her swings. She also travels in the winter to play in tournaments. Reoh said she enjoys competing with her teammates to prepare for the season ahead. She enters many tournaments as well to try to get better for her team and herself.

I just love competing. Honestly, it gives me something to do, and I love going to practice and seeing myself improve.”

— Carleigh Reoh

“I just grew way closer to her,” freshman Ella Porter said. “She was really inviting to me since I was the only freshman.”

The team consists of just five girls on varsity, so the bonds made between players have a strong effect on the overall chemistry. Reoh made a point to include Porter and kept her involved because she is the only freshman on varsity. Her teammates followed suit and put in the effort to keep everyone included.

“She is definitely the number one on the team,” Coach Slusher said. “She puts in the hard work before and after practice and she’s willing to help the other girls.”

Reoh’s commitment to the team is undeniable. During this season she has led by example for all of her younger teammates. Slusher said she has improved so much over the past four years and she continues to keep working on her game.

View Comments (1)