The Student News Site of Gretna High School

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Gretna Media

Let’s Start This Season

Football Coaches, Players Discuss the Start of the Season
Ella Pederson
The Dragons kick off the season with Gatorade Scrimmage on Sept. 18. The team takes on Omaha Burke this Friday, Sept. 25.

Last Friday marked the first Friday Night Lights of the 2023 football season. The Gatorade Scrimmage was filled with school spirit and crowds of only roaring Dragon fans. Not only that, but cases and cases of Gatorade were donated to the team by supporters, which will help the players for the next few months.
Since last year, a good portion of talent has left with a handful of players heading off to college, including all-state quarterback Zane Flores. In addition, many players from the 2022 squad are now part of the first Gretna East football team. Throughout the summer, the team worked hard on conditioning for the season.
After the school split, while some see possible challenges, others are more positive.
“With the split, there’s definitely less people,” sophomore Chase Lindquist said. “But that means more people get more reps, so that’s good.”
Since none of the senior class went to GEHS, they are now tasked with taking charge and trying to lead the team to many victories after a great 2022 season. Senior Bennett Stock has had a great attitude for the season, and he has honest opinions about what improvements the team should make.
“We have to just find some guys to fill those roles,” Stock said. “ We have to build some depth that we don’t have and we lack. Building depth is the biggest thing.”
Coaches, of course, also have opinions about their team. Leadership rests with the oldest and most experienced players.
“We have a strong group of seniors. We’re pretty senior heavy,” Coach Jackson Hinze said. “They have stronger beliefs, and they’re really bringing up the younger guys.”
The Gatorade Scrimmage was a great way to kick off the season not only because of the drinks that were donated. After watching the full contact practice, coaches now have a better understanding of improvements needing to be made before the season officially starts. Players were also able to get a chance for playing time before a more serious game.
“The Gatorade Scrimmage went well. Some things we need to improve on,” Head Coach Mr. Mike Kyal said. “And, fortunately, no one got hurt, so we’ll always take that.”
The first game of the season is this Friday, Sept. 25, against Omaha Burke. Kickoff is 7 p.m.