Math. We’re on it.

Team Competes In Virtual Competition

Fast Break: In the library, Isabelle Lewis (24) and Madyson Self (23) pass the time before their next match. “I think I did the best I could with the knowledge I have,” Lewis said. The recreational team finished seventh out of thirty-four teams.

The library doors were closed to students on Dec. 3 because inside, the math team was competing in the annual University of Nebraska-Lincoln Math Day. Teams from around the state battled for mathematical superiority. The competitive team finished eleventh out of thirty-eight teams while the recreational team finished seventh out of thirty-four teams.
“We have not had very much time to practice,” HAL Facilitator Mr. Rick Arch said. “So I had to pick students who had come to math competitions in the past, and also students who had some quiz bowl experience.”

The competition, which is usually held at UNL, took place over Zoom this year because of pandemic-related concerns. The unusual virtual format of the event initially threw some participants for a loop.
“I definitely pride myself on what I brought to our team,” freshman Isabelle Lewis said. “I think our team did great, considering we only spent a day or so prepping and we have never done something over Zoom like this competition was.”
Each match consisted of twelve question tests, with one point awarded for each correct answer. Though a complex system of separate Zoom calls and question-answering protocols were undertaken to make the virtual event run smoothly, veterans of previous math day contests did not see a change in the questions.
“They were about what I expected because I have done this before,” senior Kolton O’Neal said. “They were very interesting questions that you really had to think about. There was one that stuck with me that I did not get in time, but I went back and worked it out later. I think a lot of them were more word problems.”

Quick Math: Looking up at the screen, Zachary Kozak (22) and Kolton O’Neal (21) wait for their next problem. “My favorite part was doing math and not being in school,” O’Neal said. They lost the match to Bellevue East.

Factoring in the level of preparation, and general chaos of the usually in-person event being moved online, the team was not at all discouraged by their results. They are intent on improving upon their already lofty finishes provided they are able to keep practicing.

“I think they will do very well going forward,” Mr. Arch said. “However there are some really good teams in the state and how good they are depends on how much they are able to practice as each district is moving along differently during the pandemic.”
Though it may have caused a minor inconvenience for the student body. The triumphs of the math team at their last competition of the semester demonstrated true resolve in the midst of the mayhem of an altered activity. Their performance proved that they are among the best young mathematicians in Nebraska.